Home Inspection - Selecting A Home Inspector In Massachusetts
Conducting a home inspection is one of the most important steps before buying a home. For helpful hints on selecting a home inspector, become familiar with the state and national services below for guidance in Massachusetts. Be sure to verify that the home inspector you select is registered and has a current license to conduct home inspections within the state.
The American Society of Home Inspectors, Inc.® As explained on the ASHI website (ashi.com): The American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) is a not-for-profit professional society established in 1976. Membership in ASHI is voluntary and its members include private, fee-paid home inspectors. ASHI's objectives include promotion of excellence within the profession and continual improvement of its members' inspection services to the public
Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Registration of Home Inspectors
Reference: Facts For Consumers -- written and provided by the Board of Registration of Home Inspectors
As explained on the Board of Registration website (mass.gov): The Board of Registration of Home Inspectors is charged with evaluating the qualifications of applicants and granting licensure to those who qualify. It establishes rules and regulations to ensure the integrity and competence of licensees. The Board protects the public health and welfare through regulation of the profession in accordance with the state statutes and board regulations. The Board is responsible for insuring that licensed home inspectors have proper training and experience through an education program and meet minimum inspection requirements in each inspection performed. Applicants are required to pass a board approved examination prior to licensure and fulfill continuing education requirements for license renewal.
Suggested Questions to Ask Home Inspectors: Here is just a sample of questions you should ask home inspectors as you determine the best choice:
1. Are they licensed, insured & bonded?
2. Do they offer customer references?
3. What are the total fees for the home inspection? What optional services do they offer?
4. Do they use a digital camera to provide photographs as part of their report for any concerns found during their inspections?
5. How quickly can they provide their report to you and in what format?
6. Do they provide any general home maintenance tips as part of their report?
7. Do they offer pest inspections?
8. Are they licensed to perform Radon testing?
9. How quickly can they provide results from Radon tests?
10. Have they earned any industry recognition and/or awards within the last 5 years?
Copyright Tamela Roche, Realtor®
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tamela_Roche